Rise & Grind Recovery Radio e2
Sexual Assault, Addiction, Prison, and Redemption:
Douglas Darby Tells His Story to Help Save Lives
Support our recovery radio show through Patreon!
Sponsor shout out – Big thank you to Liz Stuck, owner of ALL SEASONS COFFEEHOUSE for sponsoring this week’s show! They provide the best tasting from-scratch drinks and eats, using fresh ingredients from local and environmentally sustainable suppliers when possible, and to offer a warm inviting atmoshphere with top notch cusstomer service*
- Group conversation with the co-founder of Rise Together, Douglas Darby, and founder of Air & Allies, Adam Racette, on how the drug culture has influenced the hip hop music scene locally & nationally.
- White House & Addiction Awareness Convo with our friend Veronica Amarante, who is the director of marketing for Life of Purpose, shares the stage at the White House with Grammy Award Winner Macklemore aka Ben Haggerty, & Michael Botticelli, who is the director of the National Drug Control Policy, to discuss solution to the opioid epidemic. The entire panel discussion was even moderated by MTV which sounds like it will be part of a documentary they are putting together!!! You can go to www.whitehouse.gov or MTV News to check out the full story.
- In this first segment we further the conversation in support of addressing the need for a better and more supportive criminal justice reform, the need for big changes in our medical community, and even how much momentum the recover movement is gaining.
- Varying opinions about the medical community – In the panel discussion, Macklemore makes a comment that there needs to be some social responsibility that each person in recovery holds while they are engaged with or receiving care from medical providers in regards to be open and honest about their struggles with addiction. The ONDCP director, Michael B., supported the comment in understanding the concern but also pushed back to say that it isn’t our responsibility as a patient to educate our health care professionals on recovery or the disease of addiction for that matter and they actually have more of a responsibility than the patient in providing that info. Rise & Grind discusses their opinions in the first segment.
- The group discusses the greater sense of power and passion that people are starting to have in part because of the great change that is needed here in America. From personal stories of recovery to viable solutions; it is clear that the voice of those in recovery are starting to be heard. Change is happening in part because people are continuing to talk about the issues they care about even at places like the White House. But we have to keep the momentum going. Hear the group discuss how we ALL can make that happen.
- Douglas Darby discusses why he has been “MIA” from Facebook & the big changes have happened in his life recently. Doug discusses his why and tells the world where his passion comes from. Doug discusses his experience with sexual assault, losing his father, drug abuse, long-term addiction, prison, and how his life almost ended, and gives advice on how to help others that are struggling.
Rise & Grind episodes now available on iTunes, Stitcher, YouTube, via our blog/feed, News Talk 97.5 FM & 1360 am on Sunday’s 11:30 am. You can also catch shows via our social media channels like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Soon to be on Sober Nation & Spotify*
about anthony alvarado
Rise & Grind Recovery Radio is brought to you by Anthony Alvarado; who is a person in long-term recovery and recognized as a national speaker, writer, and one of the leading voices in the recovery movement.
Since 2013, he has traveled over 100,000 miles with the Rise Together team; where they have spoken to over 120,000 young people on mental health and addiction. Today they are continuing to encourage thousands of students to talk about the issues they care most about.
Now, he looks to invite conversation from all over the nation to help show the world that recovery is amazing and so is life when you discover your talents, passion, and purpose. This radio podcast is for the entire community because we need YOU to help change the world.