Rise & Grind Recovery Radio E12
Gary Mendell Interview, CEO of Shatterproof
Episode Snapshot: This week, it was an honor for us to sit down with Gary Mendell, CEO of Shatterproof and Nadine Machkovech, Program Manager of Rise Together. We spoke to Gary and discussed his part in helping to create an amazing cause called Shatterproof; a national nonprofit organization dedicated to ending the devastation that addiction causes families. In this episode, you will also get the opportunity to hear Gary’s story & how he lost his son, Brian, to addiction and the promise Gary has made to help spare others from the same tragedy.
Support our recovery radio show through Patreon!
Key Topics of Discussion:
- Who is Gary Mendell & why do you do what you do?
- What is Shatterproof?
- What was the opportunity to stand with President Obama at the signing of the 21st Century Cures Act like?
- Can you explain your plans for 2017 in further detail?
- How can people get involved?
“I made a promise to my son, Brian, to spare others of this tragedy”
For almost ten years, my son Brian struggled with the disease of addiction. After we lost him in 2011, I struggled to make sense of what had happened. Inspired by Brian’s compassion, a vision emerged: to unite millions of Americans within one organization, empowering them to create change.
This episode focused on main topics like: addiction, prevention, treatment, recovery, advocacy, and how to get involved.
- Addiction is a chronic disease that changes the brain.
- Overdose is now the #1 cause of accidental death in the United States, recently surpassing car accidents. Every four minutes a parent loses a child to addiction, and the rising cost of addiction now exceeds $400 billion a year.
- Alcohol and other drugs claim another life every four minutes in America.
- Only 1 in 10 Americans with a substance use disorder receive treatment. Addiction is highly stigmatized, and that stigma is fueling an America public health crisis.
- Research shows that the stigma of addiction keeps people from getting the treatment they need.
- Prevention works. Treatment is effective. Recovery is possible for everyone.
- Together we can reduce the stigma and secrecy associated with addiction, removing the shame felt by those struggling with this disease and their families. Together we can change the conversation about addiction.
- Together we can help parents prevent their children from developing an addiction to alcohol and other drugs and ensure that those afflicted with this disease gain access to proven and effective treatments and long-term recovery programs.
- Together, we will urge our lawmakers to treat addiction as the disease that it is.
“Addiction is a disease. We’re committed to ending its stigma and helping those with this disease fully recover. We are a community of families who have been affected by addiction. We are focused on evidence-based solutions. We are advocating for policy change both on the state and federal level.” –We Are Shatterproof
- Shatterproof @ shatterproof.org
Gary encourages people to get involved now. In order to make long lasting change, people need to start dedicating their time and resources to the cause’s they most care about.
Feel free to contact Gary by clicking (HERE)
Song Break “Rise Up” by Andra Day
Episode Call to Action:
SHARE YOUR STORY with us and speak about the issues you most care about. When #WeAllRiseTogether we make a huge difference throughout the world!
Join the Rise Together Nation When You
TEXT THE WORD “RISE” TO 44144
Rise & Grind episodes now available on iTunes, Stitcher, YouTube, via our blog/feed, News Talk 97.5 FM & 1360 am on Sunday’s 11:30 am. You can also catch shows via our social media channels like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Also available on Sober Nation Podcasts & soon to be on Spotify*
About Anthony Alvarado
Rise & Grind Recovery Radio is brought to you by Anthony Alvarado; who is a person in long-term recovery and recognized as a national speaker, writer, and one of the leading voices in the recovery movement.
Since 2013, he has traveled over 100,000 miles with the Rise Together team; where they have spoken to over 120,000 young people on mental health and addiction. Today they are continuing to encourage thousands of students to talk about the issues they care most about.
Now, he looks to invite conversation from all over the nation to help show the world that recovery is amazing and so is life when you discover your talents, passion, and purpose. This radio podcast is for the entire community because we need YOU to help change the world.